- Must provide a clean bedroom, with bed and linen. The Spanish student may share a room with a family member of similar age, and of the same gender.
- They cannot share a bed and host siblings cannot sleep on the floor in order to give the Spanish student their bed.
- Must welcome the Spanish student into the family and treat him or her as a member of the family. The host family will involve the Spanish student in the family’s recreational activities and plans.
- Will serve as the responsible guardians of the Spanish student throughout the duration of their stay.
- Must clearly explain the house rules, expectations and safety concerns from the first day (e.g. shower, faucets, appliances, equipment, security alarm, computer, etc.).
- Must provide the exchange student with 3 meals a day, including family meals eaten outside the home.
- Must assist their exchange student in obtaining medical attention in the case of illness or injury and provide transportation to such care.
- Host families are NOT expected to pay for treatment since students will arrive with medical coverage and should not provide their name as the Legal Guardian. Live N Learn is the responsible party.
- The Local Coordinator should be notified immediately in the event of an emergency or any situation requiring a visit to a doctor or a clinic.
- Must immerse the Spanish student in English. If another language is normally spoken at home, all members of the host family must commit to speaking exclusively in English both to the exchange student and to each other during the time that they host.
- If Spanish is frequently spoken to the Spanish student or in their immediate surroundings, and it continues on a regular basis, Live N Learn will have to move the student to a new host family because the experience does not fulfill the requirements of an English Immersion Program.
- Cannot leave the Spanish student home alone for an extended period of time or on a regular basis.
- Spanish students cannot be used as a “babysitter” for younger siblings in the house.
- Will not allow the main host student to work or be involved in another activity which takes up more than 15 hours a week, unless there is another student in the house of a similar age.
- Will attend weekly activities with Spanish students (most activities are kids only).
- Host family will also help to provide transportation to activities to the best of their ability.
- Live N Learn can help connect host families to arrange carpools.
- Agrees to comply with the guidelines set forth by Live N Learn as well as all local, state, and federal laws.
- Will notify Live N Learn immediately if there is a significant misunderstanding or issue between one or more members of the Host Family and the Spanish student, if things are not going well or if the Spanish student breaks any laws or family and program rules.
- Cannot use tobacco, marijuana, mushrooms, alcohol or illegal drugs of any kind.
- Cannot commit any illegal act according to local, state and federal laws.
- Cannot operate or handle firearms.
- Host families who are in possession of firearms must keep them securely locked and out of sight.
- If you want to take your Spanish student shooting, you must be granted permission from Live N Learn who will request signed permission from his or her legal guardians in Spain
- Cannot drive a motorized vehicle (car, scooter, motorcycle, etc.), even if they are of legal age.
- Cannot attend concerts or other events in which there may be a strong presence of substances such as marijuana or other drugs.
- If host parents are attending as well, Live N Learn will consider granting permission on an individual basis.
The Host Family is responsible for notifying Live N Learn immediately in the case that any of the above rules are broken. The consequence will likely be the Spanish student’s expulsion from the program and prompt return to Spain.
Spaniards are also expected to follow all family rules and the consequences of breaking said rules will be determined by the family and Live N Learn on a case by case basis.
Live N Learn
Will do an in-home interview with all host families before matching them with a Spanish student. During the interview Live N Learn will:
- Get to know the family in order to determine if there is a compatible Spanish student the same gender and around the same age as one of the children in the family.
- Assure the Spanish student will be in a clean and safe environment and has a suitable place to sleep.
- Will pay for online background checks for all host family members 18 years of age and older.
- These will be completed by Clearstar and will be completed online through the Background Check link at www.livenlearn.com
- Will organize a pre-arrival preparation session to help the host family know what to expect when the Spanish student arrives.
- Will organize and attend weekly activities in which up to two host siblings can attend for free with their Spanish student (additional students may attend if they pay the entrance fee).
- Will serve as the contact for the host family in case of emergency.
- Will provide support for the host family if they need help with any issues, translation or cross-cultural communication with the student.
Waiver and Hold Harmless Agreement
- The Host Family understands and agrees that Live N Learn Foundation (or the Local Coordinator) is not responsible for the actions of the Student during his/her stay in the Host Family’s home, including without limitation damage to the Host Family’s home or property and costs or any expenses incurred by the Student. Live N Learn does not insure the Host Family’s personal property of any description.
- I voluntarily consent to my, my family and my minor child’s participation in the Live N Learn program, and assume the risks arising therefrom. In this program my family is voluntarily hosting a student from Spain and will participate in different group activities. The program may involve, but is not limited to, the following types of activities:
- Transportation to, from, and/or during an event or activity.
- Specific physical activities such as; running, walking, biking, rafting, swimming, playing sports, hiking, etc.
- Spending extended periods of time outdoors being exposed to the elements (sun, wind, rain, etc.)
- Consumption of food and/or beverages.
Risks involved with this activity may include, but are not limited to:
- Risk of personal injury, including but not limited to bodily harm, permanent disability, dismemberment, and/or death.
- Exposure to venomous animals and poisonous plants that may result in allergic or other harm.
- Weather-related risks associated with outdoor activities such as exposure to the elements.
- Damage to property or property loss.
- Illness or harm as a result of food and/or beverage consumption.
I acknowledge and agree that it is my obligation to make any necessary inquiries regarding my, my family or my minor child’s ability, physically or otherwise, to safely participate in this program.
I HEREBY CONSENT, declare and represent, as evidence by my signature below, that I am on notice that Live N Learn Foundation, has no medical, health or hospitalization insurance to cover me, members of my family or my minor child in the event of accident, injury, illness, or death, and hereby specifically release and hold harmless Live N Learn Foundation, their agents, employees, representatives and personnel, from any and all liability connected with this program and associated activities and any and all risks, liabilities, and responsibilities for all accidents, injuries, damages or property losses arising there from.
I hereby declare and represent that in making, executing, and tendering this Host Family Agreement, Waiver and Hold Harmless Agreement, I fully understand and acknowledge that I understand and will fulfill the requirements to participate in the program and am relying wholly upon my own judgment, belief and knowledge of the circumstances involved in my, my family or my minor child’s participation in this program, and that I have read this statement and understood its contents and voluntarily execute it on my free will and choice.
Photograph Waiver Form
I give consent for myself, my family or my child to be photographed, videotaped or filmed while participating in Live N Learn activities and for the resulting images to be used by Live N Learn for promotional purposes. This release is mandatory for participation in the program.
Please enter an email address where you would like a copy of the Terms and Conditions to be sent for your records.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.